Dried Hawthorn Berries Shan Zha 100g / 500g
£2.40 – £11.40
Hawthorn berries are also known ‘Shan Zha’. Ours are sundried and pitted and can be used in teas or desserts for a healthy heart! Available in 100g and 500g.
Hawthorn berries can be used for a heartwarming tea for cold winter months. Drink as a tea or re-hydrate to make a jam or jelly. Similar to toffee apples, candied hawthorn fruits are put on sticks and enjoyed at Chinese new year. Some people have even made a ketchup from these nutrient-rich berries!
Hawthorn’s taste sweet and tart, almost like over-ripe apples or cranberries. They make a delicious tea and can be used in desserts too.
The hawthorn tree is from the Rosaceae family and is similar to roses with the fact that it has thorns. This tree grows in temperate regions in Asia, North America and Europe.
Heart Healthy Hawthorn Berries
Hawthorn berries have been used for thousands of years in herbal medicine to treat cardiovascular diseases such as irregular heartbeat, angina, high blood pressure, high cholesterol and atherosclerosis. If you’re interested in Hawthorn berry tea for these conditions, please consult a medical professional first!
- Blood pressure: the berries contain a flavonoid called rutin which is vasodilatory, and therefore can help regulate blood pressure.
- Cholesterol: hawthorn berries also help to lower cholesterol by preventing excess production.
- Digestive issues: these crimson berries have also been used to help problems with indigestion and stomach aches.
- Immune system: the vitamin C in the berries can also boost the activity of your white blood cells.
- Anxiety: the berries have also been known to help with stress, anxiety and depression as they have an impact on hormone levels.
Weight 0.11 kg Weight